If you find a snake on your property:
- Watch it from a safe distance and do not touch the snake
- Safely remove any people or pets from the area where the snake is
- If the snake is visible, a qualified professional snake catcher engaged by Wyndham City can attend and remove the snake from the residential property. This service can be accessed by phoning 9742 0777 during business hours.
Wyndham City will not send a snake catcher in the following circumstances if:
- The premises is industrial or commercial
- The location of the snake is unknown
- The snake was last sighted 30 minutes before the call
- The property is unattended
- The call is for a property where the resident/occupier is not at home
- The snake is in open public space e.g. along the Werribee River and there is no immediate threat to the community
In Wyndham the commonly found snakes are the Tiger Snake, the Eastern Brown Snake and the Little Whip Snake. The Tiger Snake is the most common snake in suburban areas, especially near water and more vegetated areas such as creeks, wetlands and native bush land..
All snakes are protected by law and you could face infringements or prosecution if you harm or kill a protected species.
Remember, most people are bitten when attempting to handle the snakes themselves!
If you have been bitten by a snake, seek immediate medical assistance. Phone 000 for an ambulance and advice on what first aid can be applied.
For any further information please visit the Wyndham Council Website.